[meteorite-list] Battle Mountain Update

From: michael cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:37:20 -0600

Hello,

I am back home now, and should be returning back to the strewn field soon...soon as I get caught up on about 50 packages to go out and loads of farm chores!

I spent about 8 days in the field and recovered, one 16.7 gram stone, and 67 grams of fragments from one smashed stone.

The smashed stone hit a rock outcropping on one of the mountain sides. Must of hit it pretty hard. I found about 27 fragments, which weighed 67 grams, but I know there are more pieces. I estimate the stone was at least a 100 grams in its original state.

A great strewn field and I was amazed at the amount of people who showed up .... basically very few. Especially when you look at Ash Creek, Mifflin, Sutter Mill, etc. At Battle Mountain the most I saw was 12 people for one day! I walked about 96 miles in the 8 days of hunting and on many days never saw another person.

Pretty country, few people and I would imagine many meteorites still on the ground.

However, They are scattered far apart from each other, so be prepared to walk a lot!

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham