[meteorite-list] Meteorite fall on May 20 2012, 22:45 local time, in Aousserd, near Dakhla officially confirmed

From: jason utas <jasonutas_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:12:38 -0700

Hello Martin, All,
To be frank, this is a load of rubbish. It seems that Dr.
Abderrahmane Ibhi is convinced that the meteorite is both a fall --
and a CH-chondrite -- when just about all of the evidence points
towards the contrary.

A close-up photo of the polished surface of one of the stones showed
thorough Fe-staining (100%) and approx. 20-30% of the total Fe
converted into oxides. That photo has since been deleted from
facebook, and it was the only good photo I could find of the stones
from the supposed "fall."

Only two poor photos of the new "fall" remain:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=207084136080745&set=t.100000796501615&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=212473682208457&set=t.100000796501615&type=3&theater

The stones appear to be a fairly typical NWA find. All sides are
desert varnished, and even from those poor photos, I can see the
development of cracks filled with lighter weathering products/caliche.
 Based on how quickly meteorites weather in Morocco, the pictured
stones have been on the ground for at least several decades. This
"fall" is much more extensively weathered compared to recently
recovered Zag and El Hammami/Hammada du Draa.

I also see no reason to suspect that the meteorite in question is a CH
rather than an H-chondrite, as no analysis has yet been performed and
that judgement was apparently made due to the stones' relatively high
metal content.

In short, it's not a witnessed fall (from this past May), and it may
or may not be a CH -- but playing those odds based on metal content
alone probably isn't wise, as H's are fairly common, and CH's aren't.

I'm running a little behind with emails due to coursework at the
moment, but didn't want folks to be misled. If you're waiting on a
reply from me, please bear with me.

Regards,
Jason