[meteorite-list] Some thoughts on find coords

From: Doug Ross <doug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:11:37 -0700

Hi Marc,

That is a really tough question you have brought up, and I can see both sides. Even with the extremely helpful aid of radar analysis, it can still take a tremendous amount of search time and effort to make the first recoveries from a new fall, so I don't blame finders for feeling protective of their find coordinates. On the other hand, I do feel that the avocation of meteorites should never impede the science of meteorites. So at some point, it seems to me that find coordinates ought to be made public. Perhaps some reasonable compromise could be reached, for example withholding the release of find coordinates for a certain number of days or weeks....? Just my opinion, FWIW.

Doug Ross
doug at dougross.net