[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust

From: Michael Mulgrew <mikestang_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 14:14:59 -0700

Chris, Pat, and List,

Judging by the heat shield design recently required by Curiosity,
http://www.gizmag.com/curiosity-shield/23588/, I would say yes, a
meteorite on the surface of Mars should display a fusion crust.

"With a pressure of only 1/100th that of Earth?s, there?s too much of
it to avoid burning up and not enough of it to slow down properly.
When Curiosity's entry vehicle hits the Martian atmosphere at 13,200
mph (21,250 km/h) and suffers over 10 g?s in deceleration forces, it
will be protected by the largest aeroshell ever built."

Best,

Michael in so. Cal.