[meteorite-list] Water cutting question

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:02:05 -0500

Hi Carl,

You raise some very interesting points that I had not considered. :)

It has been my understanding, that tap water or non-distilled water
may contain chlorine. It was also my understanding that chlorine is
very destructive to certain components within meteorites and that the
chlorine atoms would initiate a chain reaction leading to runaway
rusting, oozing, flaking, and lawrencite disease. Drying a specimen
will remove the water, but chlorine may be left behind, so the damage
will continue even if the specimen is thoroughly dried out in an oven.
 I arrived at this understanding by speaking to several other
collectors and dealers with more experience than I.

When I first started out, I used to cut with the same bottled
"purified" water than I drink. This purified water is basically city
tap water that has been run through filters and reverse osmosis. When
using this water, my specimens had rusting issues. After I switched
to distilled water, the rust problems ceased. The only change in my
routine was the type of water I use for a saw coolant.

So, my experience tends to reinforce my belief that distilled water is
preferable over tap water for cutting meteorites. But, I cannot
explain the science behind it, if any.

One thing I do now for sure - do not put distilled water in the
microwave in an attempt to boil it for coffee. LOL.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com