[meteorite-list] Admire Pallasite Destruction!

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:36:00 -0500

Hi Sean and List,

Yes, us southern boys have our challenges with moisture and humidity.
I use "rechargeable" color changing dessicant cartridges in my
specimen cabinet. Presently, I keep very few specimens on open
display. 99% of my collection is crammed into one cabinet, with some
overflow in a series of vintage cigar boxes that also have dessicant
cannisters in them. I have a humidity gauge in the cabinet. I try to
keep the ambient humidity to under 30% in the cabinet. The ambient
air in the house, even with climate control, is over 60% at most
times. So I try to cut that in half inside my specimen cabinet - I
figure if I can halve the damage potential, then I'm at least making
some headway towards preserving the specimen, and not just storing it.

The cabinet is not air-tight, but many of the specimens are kept in
air-tight gemjars, membrane boxes, and the like. If I don't open the
cabinet and mess with the contents much, the humidity inside stays
lower on average. When I am packing orders or fiddling with my
collection, humid air invades my cabinet and permeates through the
drawers and specimens. There is no winning! (that is usually when
I'll go ahead and put the dessicant cartridges into the oven and dry
them out.)

After drying the dessicant, when I first put them back into the
cabinet and close up the drawers, the humidity inside will drop down
to 20% or less. I've never seen lower than 19 or 20% on my gauge.
Ideally, I'd like to see 0% humidity in the cabinet, but that is just
not easily done in a regular household in the deep south that has
kids, dogs, and constant influx of humid outside air. I'd have to
hermetically seal the cabinet or get an airtight safe or maybe have
nitrogen-purged glass cases. Again - there is no winning. ;)

I guess that is part of the reason that I don't collect many irons or
stony-irons in my personal stash. They pass through my hands from
time to time, and I enjoy them while I have them, but they are usually
temporary guests in my revolving door collection. I try to limit or
inhibit any damage these specimens might incur during they stay in my
custody, whether it is from humidity, handling (skin oils), etc.

The good news is, you can store rare bits inside sealed glass vials.
I have almost 100 sealed glass vials full of rare bits, crumbs,
fragments, etc. They stay sealed, are opened briefly to remove some
material from time to time, and the contents are never touched by my
hands in most cases - unless I drop or fumble something. For the rare
stuff or pristine material (certain achondrites, planetaries, or new
falls), I handle with white gloves. Even if I smash a small chondrite
fragment into a pile of crumbs, my bare hands rarely touch any of the
material, and I use careful methods to limit contamination. Even when
dealing with micromount crumbs, I take my custody and treatment of
them very seriously, with an eye towards preserving them as well as
making them available to collectors.

But, I digress and ramble on, back to pallasites falling apart. I've
never had it happen to me. Maybe I have been lucky. I've owned
Imilac, Brahin, Brenham, Esquel, Seymchan, Pallasovka, Admire,
Quijingue, and Fukang, and I have only had a bad experience with one
of them - it was a Brahin I bought many years ago. It was my first
pallasite specimen. It was small, it was thin, and I bought it on
eBay from a dealer who will remain unnamed. It started blooming rust
on me from the day I received it. I resold it days later, with full
disclosure, and at a loss - just to get rid of it before it completely
disintegrated on me. Unless the buyer saved it using some miracle, it
likely died in his hands. That was a lesson for me and from that day
forward, I educated myself about stony-irons and decided to be very
careful when dealing with them. And it's part of the reason I do not
collect or sell many of them......although, they sure are pretty to
look at. :)

Best regards,

MikeG

--