[meteorite-list] Admire Pallasite Destruction!

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 06:59:32 -1000

Good points Mike and Adam,

But, I would like to add that the individual from which the slice was cut and prepared is a large factor in their stability. I have seen (and owned) stable and self-destructing Brenham, Seymchan, Fukang, etc. What type of soil the individual was recovered from, and what part of the stone the piece was cut from can have an impact on how well the pieces are resistant to oxidation. Pieces cut from different parts of the same stone can also vary greatly in stability.

No amount of preparation or oxidation mitigation from sealing, coating, chemical treatment, etc can completely eliminate oxidation from a ruster. By the way, irons and stony-irons are not the only self destructing meteorites. I have had chondrites bleed and fall apart as well ? Tsarev, Ghubara are two that come to mind.

gary