[meteorite-list] Show - Final Offer

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 09:43:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi All,

The program's name was changed from the "Four Rooms" on BBC to the "Final Offer" here. I was scheduled to film on a Saturday in February in LA and had signed a seventeen page contract. Their producer had seen the press about my finding the 13.7 kilo "Stump Spring" Nevada record chondrite. Instead, I taked them into presenting my 2.1 gram Nakhla that I have with the collection card and release papers from the British Museum, as I was concerned to sell a meteorite found on public land as it can be prosecuted. I also thought the Martian "with the little green men" would bring a lot more money.

My deal with BLM in Cal/Neva is that I don't sell commercially. Shane, the Chief Enforcement Officer for the Bureau of Land Management in the Mohave doesn't mind us hunting as long as we keep to the restriction on total weight and no selling commercially. They even approve off road operations unless your in the designated restricted areas.

Three days before the shoot, Final Four's producer called to say that she had overbooked and didn't have enough time in the day to do everyone, so I was picked to be cancelled because unlike the other presenters, I was driving myself and they wouldn't lose any money having to refund air fares and expenses.

I found out later that they typically do this so that they have all the talent they need to cover their butts and can late cancel. Their contract says they can do anything they want. I belong to SAG/AFTRA and had gone to the trouble to get a union waiver and arrange my travel plans and put together a bell jar presentation for the Martian. Pissed me off.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536