[meteorite-list] Quickie

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 14:53:01 -0500

Jim, List,

Whoops!

The Sun revolves around the center of our galaxy
at about 220 km/sec which suggests a period of
about 240,000,000 years. That's the current estimate,
although the range of calculated values runs from
225 million years to 250, so the Sun has made 20
orbits so far. Oddly, it's a retrograde (backwards) orbit.

What isn't known is the ECCENTRICITY of that orbit.
If it's reasonably eccentric, has the Sun plunged down
through the Galactic Core region 20 times? The Core
is incredibly crowded with stars and dust and molecular
clouds and weird sh-..., er, stuff of every kind. It's really
crowded in that neighborhood. Look at a picture of a
spiral galaxy and you'll see what I mean.

The prospect of that particular joyride is a little daunting,
at least to me. Every time I read that some geologist or
other has detected a 250 million year periodicity in major
change on Earth (like orogeny), it bothers me.

Now, you know that eight-year-old is going to ask the next
question, "What does the Galaxy go around?" The answer is
the barycenter of the Local Group, which is itself in orbit
around the barycenter of the Virgo Supercluster, which is
itself heading a some good speed toward the Great Attractor,
about which we know little... or maybe nothing, except it
must be a whopper.

If he's the eight-year-old I think he is, he will then ask,
"Does the Universe go around anything?" Sheesh. In 1949,
Kurt G?del published an exact and perfect alternative solution
of Einstein's equations in which the Universe rotates (but
doesn't have an axis). It also has a number of other truly
spooky properties that give me a headache.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del_metric

Since then, others have published other exact and perfect
solutions of Einstein's equations all of which show rotation.
None of these solutions are testable, at least not so far.

But you can cut off the eight-year-old with "The universe
is everything there is, so there's nothing else for it to go
around."

Sterling K. Webb