[meteorite-list] Cutting Sutter's Mill

From: Laurence Garvie <lgarvie_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:30:10 -0700

Personally, I see nothing wrong with cutting Sutter's Mill. We (as in the scientific community) now have lots of stones and sliced pieces are needed for thin sections, polished mounts, etc. The TKW is well over 300 g - compare this with the really rare carbonaceous chondrites (e.g., Revelstoke - 1 g; Tonk - 7.7 g; Maribo - 25.8 g; Santa Cruz - 60 g; Crescent - 78.4 g etc).

I have cut two stones. Both were cut dry, very slowly, and with a super thin wafering blade. I have collected the cutting dust so the cut loss is zero. Even so, both stones broke while about 3/4 the way through the stone. Anyway, in hand specimen, the cut and polished faces are not particularly interesting looking - just black with a few while chondrules and CAIs, and sparse metal/troilite grains.

Laurence
CMS
ASU