[meteorite-list] Weston Hammer reference?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:48:27 -0400

Dear Listees and Innocent Bystanders,

A few words about the jargon used to describe the so-called hammer meteorites...

When I first entered the hobby, back in 2007, if you searched the
internet for meteorites that had struck things, you would inevitably
land on Michael Blood's website or a small handful of other meteorite
dealers. The term "hammer" simply does not exist in any official
nomenclature used by scientists or academia. Hammer is part of a
terminology used by the esoteric and niche community of meteorite
collectors. Collectors who focus primarily or exclusively on
"hammers" are even more scarce. Since there are so few of us (I
consider myself a "hammerhead"), it shouldn't be hard to find some
agreement on the terminology used to describe meteorites that strike
people or constructs made by people. Some would include animals as
accepted targets for "hammer" meteorites - horse, cow, dog, termite,
chupacabra, etc.

So, when I first entered the hobby, I used Michael Blood's definition
of hammer and I read through each and every description on every page
of his catalog. I learned that a meteorite which strikes the target
is a "hammer stone" or simply "hammer". A good example is Claxton.
One stone. It struck a mailbox. It was documented. What are the
freakin chances that a single stone from a main belt asteroid would
wallop of mailbox in rural Georgia? That is awesome. I want a piece
of that! And that is how a hammer collector thinks. It gets the
imagination going and inspires of sense of awe at the sprawling
randomness of the cosmos. Like a kid skipping rocks across a vast
lake, the forces of creation and chaos skipped a rock across the void
and it landed in a Georgia mailbox. Less than 10 years later
something similar happened and a Chevy Malibu was mortally wounded by
a single stone from space. (and I wanted a piece of that car-smasher
also!)

Thankfully for collectors, Claxton and Peekskill are available on the
collector's market in small macro or micro type part slices and
fragments. Neither fall is considered "unobtainium".

In both cases, there was a single stone (known) that struck something
manmade. Those stones are "hammers" or "hammer stones". Period. I
don't think any interested collector would argue that.

By extension those falls like Claxton and Peekskill could also be
called "hammer falls". The term hammer fall does not appear in any
official nomenclature used by the Meteoritical Society. In addition,
that term does not exist in any academic or scientific publication.
So, the term is open to interpretation by default. Unless someone is
going to come forward and assert themselves as the King of Hammers,
the best we can hope for (as a group of collectors) is to use language
that is clear, concise, and effective in conveying the necessary
information to the curious collector. Is it necessary for every last
collector or dealer to use the same terminology to describe their
specimens? No, with the condition that the words they use in
describing their specimens are not intentionally vague or misleading.

I think it may be argued, therefore, that Claxton or Peekskill could
be referred to by four different terms, each of which are valid but
have varying degrees of acceptance.

1) FALL - this is the word that science and academia uses to describe
any meteorite that was witnessed to fall to Earth. This holds true
whether the meteorite hits a dentist's office or falls across
undeveloped farmland or desert. This is also the word used most
commonly by the media, authors, and others who write about meteorites.

2) WITNESSED FALL - this word is used widely by private dealers and
collectors. It is also used casually on rare occasion by academics
and appears in some literature of the field.

3) HAMMER FALL - this word is used by some private collectors and
dealers to refer to a meteorite fall (or witnessed fall) that strikes
a person, artificial construct, edifice, or in some cases, an animal
(typically a mammal, single-celled organisms need not apply). If we
include diatoms as valid targets, then every meteorite slams into the
ocean is a hammer because it will invariably kill some living
organism. Note - the criteria that defines what qualifies as a valid
target for "hammerhood" has already been argued to death on this List
previously, on more than one occasion. Let us not assault that dead
horse again. Suffice to say, for the sake of this argument, Claxton
and Peekskill can be referred to as hammer falls.

4) HAMMER - obviously, this is short casual speak for a hammer fall.
Claxton and Peekskill (as fall events) could be called "hammers". The
meteorite specimens (as objects) could also be referred to as
"hammers".

Besides these two obvious and relatively-recent examples of hammer
falls, we also have some meteorite falls that involved multiple stones
and multiple targets that were struck. One very recent example of
such a fall is Park Forest. I won't repeat what is already documented
in this List's archives, but it is generally agreed that several
manmade objects or structures were hit by stones from a larger shower
of meteorites that took place over an entire strewnfield that included
the Park Forest area of Illinois. Each one of those meteoritess that
struck a manmade construct is a hammer stone.

However, there were many specimens that fell and hit the grass or
ground without ever touching anything man-made. I think most
collectors would agree that these specimens should not be called
"hammer stones". Nor should any specimen derived from one of these
stones be referred to as a "hammer". But, Park Forest is a fall, a
witnessed fall, and (whether everyone likes it or not) a "hammer
fall". As long as everyone agrees that not every individual specimen
from a hammer fall involving multiple meteorites is a "hammer stone" -
only those specific stones that actually struck a valid target are
rightfully described as such.

Holbrook is another example - more than one stone struck a valid
target, and therefore those particular meteorites are hammer stones
and the larger Holbrook hammer fall involved many many more stones
which did not strike anything other than the unpopulated Arizona
countryside. Those latter stones are not hammer stones and are
generally not referred to as such. Now, here is where terminology
gets a little confusing and some people argue over the semantics -
Holbrook could be referred to as a "hammer fall" and *any* Holbrook
stone could be referred to as coming from the Holbrook "hammer fall"
But only those specific specimens that struck manmade constructs (or
livestock) are legitimately referred to as "hammer stones".

If one really wants to get silly about all of this, we can coin a new
term - witnessed hammer fall. And then we can argue over whether or
not the meteorite is a "witnessed hammer stone" only if a living
witness saw the meteorite striking the target - and not a case where
the witness ran discovered the damaged target after the moment of
impact. Such an example would be the New Orleans meteorite. If a
meteorite strikes a desk, and nobody is there to hear it, does it
really happen? ;)

If the humble reader has followed my rambling for this long, then
please have a drink.

In light of this recent dustup over the semantics of meteorites that
hit things, I have changed the description and header for the part of
my website dedicated to "hammers" and/or specimens from those
witnessed falls that may also be referred to as "hammer falls". That
new description is basically a condensed version of what I just said
above. I think it makes clarfies if a given micromount or specimen
originates from a meteorite that struck something, or it is a specimen
that did not strike something from the hammer fall event in question.

Ultimately, as long as this terminology is not being used to mislead
or misrepresent a specimen, it doesn't really matter - only a handful
of people care enough to discuss or debate it. ;)

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG