[meteorite-list] coloma witnesses

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:10:39 -0400

Dan,

Thanks yes I did see the video. Very awesome.

I've been able to do some work utilizing the topographic features of
google earth and mapping them to the pictures, but there's still a
good bit of uncertainty.

With regard to the picture and video, what we really need to do is get
out to these 2 locations (North Reno for Lisa & South of Fresno for
the video) with a DSLR camera, tripod and a clear night. Then take an
astrophoto recreating the same field of view as was used in the
fireball images, but also capturing stars in the image. We could then
stretch out the 2 sets of photos in photoshop so that the mountain and
ground features line up. At that point we would have very nice AZ & EL
readings for both of these photos.

I'm working with someone now who is trying to get these calibration
photos done, but he has limited time and it might take him a month or
more to get it done.

So.. if anyone is near reno or fresno and would like to help out with
this effort please LMK.

Based on the witness reports I've reviewed so far, I believe there is
a bit of northern tilt to the trajectory. My hope is that by
interviewing witnesses close to coloma, we maybe able to confirm this.
Any witness contacts will be put to good use, so please send them to
me, if you got em.

Thanks,

Mike