[meteorite-list] Murray (1950 Kentucky) various references

From: Robin Whittle <rw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 23:51:22 +1000

My wife Tina and I recently started our meteorite collection with an
inexpensive 12mg fragment of the 1950 Murray CM2 carbonaceous chondrite
meteorite, purchased from Peter Marmet via eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/pema9/ We have a Bausch & Lomb stereo
microscope 7x to 30x, a good illuminator and a binocular microscope for
80x (and higher if I could illuminate it properly).

Here are some documents I found helpful in understanding carbonaceous
chondrites in general and the Murray meteorite specifically. I am sure
there are many more, but I figure these might be of interest to list
members.

  - Robin Melbourne Australia http://astroneu.com

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=16882

  Data for this meteorite, with photos and various links.
  12.6kg total found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonaceous_chondrites#CM_group

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_q=Murray+Meteorite+Chondrite

  3,020 papers mention these words. Some are freely available - see
  links on the right of the page.

http://www.meteorite.fr/en/forsale/Murray.htm

  Photos and ~90 grams of this meteorite for sale.

http://www.historicmeteorites.com/HistoricMeteorites/M-Murray.html

  Photo of a 48 gram fragment with fusion crust.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1953Metic...1..114H

  1953: The Murray, Calloway County, Kentucky, Aerolite (CN = +
  0881,366). Horan, John R.
  Meteoritics and Planetary Science, Vol. 1, p. 114-121 (1953)

  Details of the fall and some early analysis.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1963SSRv....1..621M

  1963: The Carbonaceous Chondrites. Mason, B.
  Space Science Reviews, Volume 1, Issue 4, pp.621-646

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19730061059

  1969: Accretion of Murray carbonaceous chondrite and implications
  regarding chondrule and chondrite formation. Donald P. Elston.
  Center for Meteorite Studies, Arizona State University.

  Very detailed report I am about to read.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19780005035

  1977: Chemical fractionation in the solar nebula
  NASA Lawrence Grossman

  I haven't read it yet. Has a section on carbonaceous chondrites.

http://presolar.wustl.edu/~fjs/publications/p079.pdf

  2003: Presolar spinel grains from the Murray and Murchison
  carbonaceous chondrites E Zinner, S Amari, R Guinness,
  A Nguyen Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 2003

  Oxygen isotope analysis indicates that some tiny grains of
  the micron scale were formed in supernovae other than the one
  which gave rise to our solar system.