[meteorite-list] Sutters Mill - mass and stone count

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 13:46:54 +0200

Yep Count, Sodom & Gomorrah.

No.
Old men say, benchmark won't be that fall, benchmark was already Tagish
Lake.
Had arrived then at a before totally unseen and strange price.
It happened after Tagish, that more and more observed falls were priced in a
way, which nobody believed to be possible. From Neuschwanstein to Soltmany.
Don't forget that it's - still - a regional phenomenon. Hold a Mifflin
against a Buzzard. Mainly afflicting US- and European falls. (O.k. we all
had bad luck, that that hammers-hysteria became a fashion, additionally
driving prices).
Alas, still you get the North African falls at prices, you never got any
observed stone fall throughout the 200 years lasting history of meteoritics
(with perhaps the exceptions of Alfianello, Allende, Gao-Guenie in the years
after their fall).
And old men say,
that the very most meteorites, rarest, rare and common types, - the desert
finds - are still remarkably cheaper than equivalent meteorites were in the
1990s. (Not to mention the 19th an most of the 20th century).

Kommercialization Kitty jumps every 10 years out of the bag.
(Huh, some weeks ago I read the catalogue of Partsch, giving the origins of
the specimens of the early Vienna collection. Quite all was either directly
or indirectly (swaps,donations) purchased from field, finders, dealers).
So does the popularization poodle. When did meteorites get a broader
attention? Started already in the 1980s.
And then to a huge extend in the 1990s with the new media.
Nevertheless what happened....

The revolting development happened in the 1st decade of the 2000s.
Large amounts of new meteorites. Remarkable numbers of new rare finds.
Complete price crash.
Now we rather observe (of course with a few excesses) the return to
normality.

Hence no end of collecting.
Il diavolo non ? brutto quanto lo si dipinge ;-)

The finds will get sparser, the collection specimens will get smaller.

Nevertheless, believe me, it prepossesses myself with zero grain of
satisfaction,
that the prediction I and others years ago were ridiculed, came so fast
true.

Well, maybe another upside...
Perhaps now meteorites in general won't be taken so much anymore for common
commodities, for home decoration or something like Swiss cheese,
but more appreciated as the rarest matter on Earth and samples of celestial
bodies, inaccessible to mankind.

Ciao,
Martin

PS: As always I could go wrong too...