[meteorite-list] Sutters Mill Effort

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 12:09:55 -0400 (EDT)

Well...I spent two days out in the Coloma and Lotus Park area searching
for the illusive Sutter Mill meteorite. I was there on the 25th with some
light rain showers to deal with. The heavier rain occurred the next day I
understand. Then I went yesterday the 30th. I had no luck with both days. I
thought my poor old legs were gonna drop off. I think I've formulated some
ideas if this happens to me again...namely to initially skip the tall grass
fields if there is any, and concentrate on the parking lots, and sides of
roads first. I was hoping to run into some of you more experienced guys, but
it seemed you all disappeared to all points of the compass. :O) On my first
day, I did have a small chat with Richard Garcia when I ran into him at the
Lotus park parking lot. The next day I saw him being interviewed on tv...so
 it looks like I found a "Movie Star" after all. :O) It was an interesting
experience. I got a big thrill simply because I've driven thru the Coloma
Gold Discovery park maybe at least 50 times over the last 10 years. All this
while on my way to or from my gold dredging location on the Yuba river
further north. I did once scout out a dredging site about 2 miles north of
Lotus Park along highway 49. The BLM people unloaded too many rules for us to
follow and I gave up that location. My partners did dredge there however
and found 3 or 4 ounces within a month of work. Just for grins I walked that
open area some on the first day, but found nothing in the way of
meteorites. I've been thinking if it would be worth the effort to search some of the
tall grassy field areas next winter before the next crop of grass comes
up? I'm thinking that as the current grass dries up during the summer, they
will shrink in size in the process and may not be so thick to see thru? I
will have to give that some thought.
George Zay