[meteorite-list] Speed that meteors enter dark flight?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 07:54:37 -0700

There are a number of papers out there which address modeling meteor
flight, both during ablation and dark phases. In fact, you can produce a
reasonably good estimate with nothing more than some basic physics and
an Excel spreadsheet. For more accurate analysis, you need to implement
a good numerical integrator and incorporate an ablation/fragmentation
model. Dark flight modeling is fairly straightforward, but depends on
accurate high altitude wind data, which may or may not be available,
depending on the time and location of the event you are studying.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com