[meteorite-list] stability of morasko iron

From: Marcin Cimala <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 22:19:31 +0200

> Good evening list. It has been a while,but Im still around. Hey of all
> the well known iron meteorites out there,like
> sikhote-alin,campo,mundrabilla,henbury etc. How stable is the morasko
> iron? I have never owned one and I am seeing them more available. I
> need to know before one comes to chicago. Any help will be
> appreciated. Also today I went for my 6 month skin cancer check-up and
> I am good for another 6 months. Good feeling to have with the weekend
> coming. All I need is a job. Have a great eveing all.
> Steve R. Anold, chicago, ill.

Hi Steve
Answering Your question I must say that there are more rumors about rusting
of Morasko than truth. Its not desert iron so as every iron it CAN rust but
it depends of few things. Place of find (sand or mud) and also how it was
prepared and treated after the find. I have several large cut specimens that
dont rust for years. I dont see a reason to be affraid of this meteorite.
Its not ba low quality campo or nantan. If uncut its easy to preserve in
good condition. If cut I rather sugest larger specimens than small
individuals, becouse small rust more often. But this rule is the same to
many other meteorites. This will not change into dust after several months.
Morasko is NOT a ruster.

http://www.Meteoryty.pl marcin(at)meteoryty.pl
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin(at)polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM: +48 (793) 567667