[meteorite-list] What killed off the Mammoth?

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:06:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sterling -

As big as a dog, from the fossils that shown in the standard reference
"Mammoths" Lister and Bahn, pg 35.

Height about 3-4 feet.

Similar in size to dwarf elephant/mammoth from Crete:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_dwarfism

(Also check out "Ice Age Mammals of North America", Ian Lange and our friend Dorothy Norton, for species, diets, and ranges.)

But I digress. The important part of this is their different food requirements: mammoth and mastodon about 300-350 kilos per day, dwarf forms an order of magnitude less.

For the intercontinental, instantaneous, simultaneous extintinctions of megafauna, see Mammoths, pages 124-125.

EP