[meteorite-list] Sort of OT (except for Brix!): North Las Vegas bobcat

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:26:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Rob,

I was working that night when the incident occurred. Georgia heard Brix
barking and a large cat screaming. Georgia shined a light in the
direction and saw the fight. During the fight she thought she had seen
a second set of eyes on the block wall as Brix was on the ground with
the other animal.The Department of Wildlife officer thought the fur
that was found on the wall and kennel looked like it may possibly be a
bobcat but the large covered scant piles did not match a bobcat
scant.The officer's only explanation regarding the large scant piles
could possibly be from a bobcat that was eating dog food form one of
the neighbors yards. I'm still not sure what kind of animal it was.
The cat was a little shorter than Brix by 8-10" and not as long but
stocky. The animal hung around also for around 15-20 minutes from start
to finish.

>For me, the news story was disturbingly ignorant
>about bobcats on many levels, and it is a shame that
>the slant seemed designed to stoke the irrational fears
>that some people have about them.

Yes I feel the same way. I have seen many bobcats in the field and they
act just like a house cat curious and slow moving. Also my thoughts
would be to leave the cat alone and let it live.The animal has been
around for at
lest six months and has never caused any problems before and I really
doubt it will come back. I have also closed the gate to the kennel to
keep Brix from area just in case it does come back.

Sonny