[meteorite-list] The term "hammer fall"

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:49:49 -0400

Hi Jim and List,

No need to apologize. This discussion has been (for some) :

a) interesting
b) fun
c) horribly redundant
d) cruel to horses
e) epic
f) none of the above

A key point to remember, when considering the virtues of the term
"hammer fall" or the merit of this discussion is : the hammerheads on
this list were minding their own business, when it was strongly
suggested that were are scammers who are trying to confuse innocent
collectors and swindle them out of their money by engaging in
"marketing". We (or I) weren't going around in public proselytizing
the usage of the term and encouraging others to use it. We were not
engaging in any campaign to promote hammerheadery or launching salvos
against those that do not use the term. I simply defended myself (and
a small handful of others) from negative allegations regarding the way
in which we choose to enjoy our common hobby.

Mike Farmer is suggesting I am retarded. I'm used to that and wear it
as a badge of honor when one of the world's best meteorite hunters
takes time out of this day to single me out as mentally deficient. As
for everyone else, I will only say this - there are a few of us
(although I only speak for myself here), who didn't want our
participation in this hobby needlessly nit-picked, so we avoided
joining IMNPA. Of course, my membership in the IMNPA was shelved
because I have 5% Swahili and 2% Beatnik in my bloodline, but that is
another story...

Jim has said it best I think - "Using the term might make the seller
feel the stone is
> more important and makes it more marketable, but to an educated and
> knowledgeable buyer, it doesn't really matter."

I asked a specimen of Park Forest today if it feels more important
because it is arbitrarily labeled a "hammer fall" by a small
percentage of dealers and collectors. It hasn't answered me yet.
When it does finally answer me, I'm not sure I will understand it
because I'm not educated or knowledgeable enough. I will forward the
answer, when I receive it, to the IMNPA for decryption and
interpretation. Hopefully then this poor horse can be laid to rest.

In the meantime, there is an episode of Jersey Shore on TV today that
I am going to watch. It is a new episode where Snooki and J-Wow
debate the merits of orientation feature terminology as it pertains to
meteorites. I'm definitely going to TIVO this one. :)

Best regards and happy collecting,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG