[meteorite-list] "Is there any religion that invites doubt, skepticism, or a freely inquiring mind?"

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:42:14 -0600

Team Meteorite:

It's a chilly, damp night here in south Central America. The rain is
pounding on my tin roof making for a happy rain forest.

Subscribers to 'Meteorite', and I hope that is everyone reading this,
may have already read part one in the May issue of my feature 'The
Rise of the Raj and the Fall of Shergotty'. It's the first-ever
published account of that 1865 fall. I'm honored to have been chosen
for the assignment.

Well, time is of the essence for me to complete the conclusion of the
feature for the Aug issue (don't worry Derek) and tonight I'm working
on 'Mr. Peppe's' bio. Subscriber's know that he was a British Gov't
employee in India working as a sub-opium agent.

Just as it was about to be discarded, Peppe ID'd Shergotty as a meteorite.

Then he went back to work the opium fields.

I find that interesting :>)

Oh, there's a lot more to this most excellent story but you'll have to
purchase the next issue to find out. Call now to subscribe, operators
are standing by.

But as crucial as this article is- I'll be burning the midnight oil
tonight sorting through google-scanned 19th century docs on Indian
farming practices- I'm momentarily diverted by a treasure gifted to me
by M-Lister Michael Gilmer.

Backstory - I offered here for sale this weekend the three-volume
"Burnham's Celestial Handbook". Lazy me, never read it. Michael wrote
me and shared his enthusiasm for the author. Copied me on a link from
the 'Village Voice'. It's an interview with the author.

I had no idea of the plus genius of Robert Burnham, perhaps you don't either.

I wouldn't dream of wasting your time.

I invite one and all to pull up a beer, slip on some comfortable
Coltrane, and settle in for a sublime hour of logic and common sense
on matters of the heart, mind and soul set somewhere in the
multiverse. You'll LOL, you'll nod your head in agreement. Your brain
will visit places it hadn't gone before. Not off-topic, pallasites are
in play.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/robert_burnham_j.php

Kevin Kichinka
Santa Ana, Costa Rica