[meteorite-list] New post: Probable meteorite fall at Whitmire, SC in February

From: Marc Fries <chief_scientist_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 04:38:30 -0700

Greetings, all

        Galactic Analytics has a new post up for the Whitmire, SC event from this past February. Upon review of the available data, we assign this event a high probability that it was a meteorite fall. Small meteorites in the 1-10 g range were detected on radar, which is a similar situation to the Sutter's Mill fall. Whitmire was a small event, probably on the scale of the Grimsby fall, but the possibility exists that meteorites in the 100s of grams to kg range could have been produced.

http://www.galacticanalytics.com/probable-meteorite-fall-whitmire-sc-13-feb-2012/

        There are two significant features to this post. For one, this event "slipped through the cracks" before Galactic Analytics LLC was formed. Now that this work is underway as a subscription-based effort, it allows us to dedicate the time necessary to properly write up events like this in the future. Secondly, as part of the subscription service we will be regularly posting analyses of recent, bright fireballs with a significant number of eyewitnesses. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Marc Fries
Chief Scientist