[meteorite-list] Gladstone Question

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 10:53:32 -0700

Hi Dennis,

This is a partial Nininger Number. Nininger assigned Gladstone (New Mexico)
with the prefix 315.X. Since he assigned 31.X to Chupaderos, I think it is
safe to assume that the remainder of your numbers simply wore off. This is
typical of some older specimens to lose part of the number. In your case,
the 5.X probably just wore off. Nininger probably sold or swapped the
specimen directly to Ward's Natural Science and typically would only
retained the main mass and/or largest piece available, so we don't see this
smaller 110.6 gram piece listed his catalog. Only the 45.526 kilo main mass
(315.1) and a 1.632 kilo end (315.37).

Hope that helps.

For fun, a little excerpt regarding Gladstone, NM, form Nininger's catalog
(1950):

"In 1936, we undertook to prove the hypothesis that meteorites have fallen
on all areas of the earth recently enough to be yet recognizable. We sent
Mr. and Mrs. Alex Richards to Gladstone, New Mexico, with instructions to
stay three weeks exhibiting specimens and providing information as to their
importance and how to distinguish meteorites from other rocks. We had no
information or hint of any kind that meteorites were present in that area.
The first two weeks brought nothing to light, but during the third week six
stones were recovered aggregating 183 pounds and representing three distinct
falls, namely, Gladstone, Farley, and Ute Creek, all within six miles of the
Gladstone post office."

Best wishes,

Mike

Mike Bandli
Historic Meteorites
www.HistoricMeteorites.com
and join us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/Meteorites1
IMCA #5765

If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or
copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited.