[meteorite-list] NWA 7309 - a fresh new CM2

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:20:08 -1000

Aloha,

I would like to announce a fresh new CM carbonaceous chondrite NWA 7309. I purchased a lot of 2 freshly fusion crusted stones from a dealer in Agadir, Morocco in March 2012. The stone was incredibly fresh, with flowlined and frothy fusion crust covering about 60% of the stone. It was a sight through the other 40% of the stone that made me excited: a dark, fine grained matrix with small light chondrules, not unlike a Murchison, Mighei or Murray.

The meteorite was cut by Montana Meteorite Laboratory and a sample submitted to Dr Tony Irving for analysis toward classification. He reports the meteorite consists of small chondrules, some mineral fragments and sparse, fine grained CAI in a very dark, slightly stained matrix containing cronstedtite-tochilinite and minor pentlandite. Olivine (Fa0.5-43.9), orthopyroxene (Fs1.2-1.3Wo2.6-0.9), clinopyroxene (Fs4.1Wo39.6). This is my third CM, the freshest yet, and a beautiful representation of a CM2 carbonaceous chondrite, featuring stunning chondrules and Calcium Aluminum Inclusions (CAI) throughout the matrix. Full slices of this meteorite have a smooth satin finish on one side and come in a quality labeled display box for protection and years of viewing pleasure. Scale cube is 1cm on each side and not included in the sale.

37g stone before cutting:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3598850175281.2171492.1394318075&type=3&l=383c01a8f2

NWA 7309 CM2 offerings:
http://bigkahuna-meteorites.com/NWA7309.html