[meteorite-list] LONG Posts that give us Arthritis to Scroll though

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 02:13:37 -0500 (EST)

Stuart wrote:
"You should always "reply all" unless someone ask for anonymity."

Mike wrote:
"bothers ... "I like it!" or "That's a good picture" etc, etc. and they
COPY THE ENTIRE LIST."

Hi Stuart, Hi Mike and Hi Listers,

[tip] To bridge the difference of opinion, one could pay a 'tip' when
being moved to make a post that adds no comment or is off-topic. [end
tip]

I don't think it's for any of us* to say what the list is for even
though I'm sure everyone knows beyond a reasonable doubt what it's for
(with no two opinions alike) ;-) ;-)

I apologize for not marking this topic OT, but it seems netiquette in
generally uses more bandwith than the things we actually are offended
by... but it really is off-topic.

I think "Scrooge" Mike ;-) was referring to "Me too" posts as defined
by the Internet Engineering Task Force Internet Standards
Organization's Netiquette guidelines ? 3.1.3

3.1.3 NetNews Guidelines

   NetNews is a globally distributed system which allows people to
   communicate on topics of specific interest. It is divided into
   hierarchies, with the major divisions being: sci - science related
   discussions ...

    - Read all of a discussion in progress (we call this a thread)
      before posting replies. Avoid posting "Me Too" messages,
      where content is limited to agreement with previous posts.
      Content of a follow-up post should exceed quoted content.

    - Send mail when an answer to a question is for one person only.
      Remember that News has global distribution and the whole world
      probably is NOT interested in a personal response. However, don't
      hesitate to post when something will be of general interest to the
      Newsgroup participants.

After recently disappointing myself unfortunately from some things I
typed recently reflected by a crappy sleep deprived vegetative state, I
read over the whole Netiquette guidelines, and felt it was time well
used, kind of like purging with some Ave Maria's. I'm sure a lot of
thought went into putting them together and it felt like a call to the
director/principal's office,

Anyone wishing to compare their opinions to this standard can find the
standard at:

http://tools.ietf.org/pdf/rfc1855.pdf

Kindest wishes
Doug