[meteorite-list] Etching solution

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 23:23:26 -0500 (EST)

PS - if you don't have a hood or other exhaust, the methyl alcohol
could also be dangerous becasue the liver breaks it down into toxins
and you will inhale some of it. That's another reason why I use
ethanol in the oven, and frankly much more important a reason than
saving a few pennies ;-) You can consider the residence time of the
toxins in your system to be as long as a week, so if your are doing
etxching all day long,and are using methanol nital you definitely need
a very well ventilated place, and methanol is sneaky worthy of a CSI
episode of an innocent who done it since the syptoms and critical
second hit can be stealth and barely naseaous for the first.

I know you didn't ask about methyl alcohol, but its good to see the 4
common solcvent benefits/liabilities side by side, at least my take on
it. Anyway, you can see why ethyl alcohol iis usually preferred. I
just checkethe azeotrophes andisopropyl is only 2.3 C above ethanol
mixtures so its ability to remove water would be very similar in the
oven, the last thing to look up to decide theoretically approximating
the penetrating ability as related to the surface tension of the
alcohol (just a guess) what is the bestest alcohol would be to check
the surface tension. I just did and all three alcohols are nearly 4
times that of water and within 5% o each other, so I would think that
on penetrating ability they are probably all tied and would argue all
factors considered ethanol is best since the worst you get is a
standard hangover in standard use conditions, and to get a freak
explosion from EtOH mixtures with acid is minimal compared to isopropyl.

Ferric chloride of course doesn't have the toxicity not flammability,
but it stains like heck and with proper respect for the reagents plus a
little experience, like everything else the risks are minimized.
That's another reason to start with dilute nitric which I highly
recommend until you have the bugs worked out of the etching "assembly
line", ie, method you find best for your work.

Good luck,

Kindest wshes
Doug.