[meteorite-list] Is there a Main Mass list?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 05:15:07 -0500 (EST)

" A main mass list? Heck, there isn't even a "main mass" definition
everybody agrees on! Here's mine:"

Hi Jeff, all,

A main mass has some scientific value IMO in some circumstances. But
really, it seems to me one of those things that we keep having to fill
out on a boilerplate form that serves of little real scientific value.
Better would be to drop the confusing, unfortunately now unscientfic
(due to the various definitions as you already reminded us) term "main
mass" and just have an entry called,

"biggest known piece" = BKP

which is already used analogously in the case of TKW.

in the database. It's really what most collectors are interested in
anyway and would create probably a bunch more of limited useful
information llike the TKW's which frequently are significantly
understated. My take on a 'main mass' wouldn't require it to be more
than half, but rather the principal piece of the original meteoroid
 from which all fragmentation is derived, and the one expected to travel
furthest up the dispersion ellipse's axis shedding it all. I suppose a
scenario of a boulder splitting into two equal pieces would screw that
up too, but then we could drop some fancier names to describe that
'degenerate' case.

Just sounding off

Kindest wishes
Doug