[meteorite-list] Heat affected zone?

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 01:04:40 +0100

eric at meteoritesusa.com skrev 2012-01-18 20:23:
> Sorry if this seems an elementary question. Are heat affected zones in
> meteorites caused during atmospheric entry/ablation?

Yes, it is heating from the molten surface that is conducted into the
meteorite. The depth is depending on temperature, time and heat
conduction of the meteorite.

> Does this stone appear to have a heat affected zone?
> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2546227454530&set=a.2546225014469.2117331.1219094173

No, to me it looks like a weathering zone. Rocks have a higher
insulating factor than irons so the heated zone is a lot thinner.
Weathering will depend on the porosity of the stone and can penetrate
quite deep under the surface creating a colored zone.
In iron meteorites the zone could be easily spotted as the Widmanst?tten
pattern is destroyed by heat.

> Regards,
> Eric

Regards, G?ran