[meteorite-list] Meteorite Classification Question - Instruments

From: Robert Beauford <robertbeauford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:10:54 -0800 (PST)

As I recall, there are several people on the list that actively classify meteorites, so I'm hoping one of you will be patient with a question that may be profoundly ignorant.
I have access, in house, to a?FEI Nova Nanolab 200 Dual-Beam Focused Ion Beam or a?PHI VersaProbe XPS instrument, (along with SEM and TEM) but not to a working electron microprobe or, ironically, the equipment to make thin sections.? I am not very familiar with the XPS or ion beam instrument.? Can I get the necessary olivine composition ratio to achieve classification of a chondrite with the XPS probe or the ion beam?or do I need to go somewhere?and use a proper electron microprobe?? I would be truly grateful if any of you would take the time to advise.
Thanks so much,
-Robert??