[meteorite-list] telescope

From: Benjamin P. Sun <bpsun2009_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:46:13 -0500

Hi John,

I remember those telephoto converters sold back in the late 80's-early
90's. I even thought about buying one myself back then.
To answer your question, it wouldn't hurt to try that setup. F/16
should be okay for bright objects such as the moon and planets.
I do not know what Nikon lens you are using exactly, whether it is a
conventional lens or a catadioptric lens. Usually camera lenses have
so many glass elements that light has to pass through. More so than a
typical refractor telescope would have. Add to that your multiple
teleconverters and then the scope converter itself, well needless to
say a nice bright sharp picture may be "iffy". Less is better
sometimes.
I would go by the lower end of the guideline in your case. 50x
magnification per inch aperture. If I recall, those telephoto
converters were meant more for lower power wide field use. Remove a
teleconverter or two, and I bet it would be great on open star
clusters, bright nebulas, and large galaxies such as Andromeda.