[meteorite-list] Bediasites agree with Steve's unproven tektite theory

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 04:27:19 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

I like your last paragraph Brian - I think this is closer to the truth. Tektite glass doesn't survive 35 million years unless it is in rather special preservational conditions. The U-grooved specimens likely sat around for a few hundreds of thousands of years in an acidic (rainwater) environment which etched them. Had they remained in this environment they would be gone by now. Instead they were incorporated into a sediment that, for whatever reason, preserved them. I'm not familiar with the Manning Fm and Jackson Fm. Low permeability would preserve specimens. Also if there was only acid leaching then the alkaline ions are removed and then the remaining silica acts as a barrier and the process stops (Adams, 1984). Similarly if there is only alkaline attack in a closed environment then waters become saturated in silica and the etching essentiallys stops. One wonders whether the rock was saturated in silica, suppressing the leaching rate to zero?

As Brian mentioned it's also noteworthy that some bediasites also show pyramidal v-grooving, which is caused by alkaline etching attacking the silica network. Some show the classic u-grooving like the philippinites. The u-grooving and navels are chemically enhanced cracks formed when the tektite cooled rapidly and spalled in the latter stages of re-entry. I have philippinites that show paper-thin cracks, narrow u-grooves and thick u-grooves - every stage.

Regards, Aubrey Whymark
www.tektites.co.uk