[meteorite-list] New Met Bulletin Approvals - new Czech meteorites

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 07:04:54 -1000

Aloha Jan,

From just a cursory glance at the metbull entry for Benesov (a), I would surmise a reason for the non-fall classification is due to the fact that much time had elapsed from the witnessed fireball on May 7, 1991 and the actual recovery of material on April 9, 2011. Because almost twenty years had passed, there can be no assurance that the recovered pieces are associated with the witnessed sightings.

Additionally, Benesov (a) is an LL3.5 and Benesov (b) is an H5 and were found on the same day 250m apart, both with a weathering grade of W3. Characteristics are "Weathered fragments lacking fusion crust. The meteorites resemble the terrestrial stones and slag found in the field." To me, this implies that the recovered pieces have a terrestrial age greater than 20 years.

gary