[meteorite-list] Meteorite hunting trip Report / Off Topic

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 22:16:59 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

I decided to spend the day exploring a new location for meteorites.
With the day time high expected to reach 50 degrees what more could you
ask for? Brix and I spent the day exploring a bluff that overlooked a
large valley.
As I was walking along I noticed a white PVC mining claim marker
(nothing new in Nevada). A couple of months ago I had read an article
in the local newspaper about the PVC mine claim markers. The article
was about
claim markers and how the State of Nevada decided to outlaw the PVC
markers. Under the new law in the State of Nevada you can pull the
marker up and lay it next to the location where you found it. The
article stated "Basically they're
black holes for birds, literally and figuratively. Once they're inside,
it's a one-way trip."

The marker I found was supported by several large stones. As I pulled
the marker from its location I could see something stuffed in the base
of the marker and in the hole. Resting in the bottom of the hole were
three bird skulls and as I began to
shake the PVC pipe more skulls and parts fell from the pipe. The pipe
had entombed 14 birds. You can rest assured from this point on every
marker that I see will be knocked over. Here are the links for the
pictures and the newspaper article.

Sonny

http://www.nevadameteorites.com/nevadameteorites/Birds.html

http://www.lvrj.com/news/mining-claim-markers-blamed-for-thousands-of-bird-deaths-133346378.html