[meteorite-list] 2nd Report from Strewnfield in Edgewood Texas

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 10:57:18 -0500 (EST)

Sterling>>I make the perfect expert for this dispute because I
am not a frontiersman and know nothing about lions,
cougars, pards, and whatnot. Knowing nothing, I
was forced to GoogleStorm the question of "mountain
lion" shoe-size.<<

Well after going over what Sterling dug up, it would seem that what eric
seen in florida is within the realm of possibility. I sure would love to
have found the photos that were taken of the two mountain lions killed at my
father in laws place. I looked high and low. The big interest in those
photos were the size of its head and front paws compared to my father in laws
hands. Perhaps the furry part on its paws made it look larger than the foot
print producing pads? During that period (In the late 1980's and early
1990's), there was an incident about 2 miles from my in laws place where a
mountain lion swatted the butt of a 4 year old kid at Cuyamaca State Park while
camping. the lion came right into camp and attacked the kid. This was all
caught on video. A park ranger shot and killed it. within a year or two of
this, a mountain lion killed a woman hiker within cuyamaca Park. I can't
remember if this one was killed or not. We had a woman friend of ours who was
hiking in Cuyamaca that suddenly had a lion appear on the trail about ten
feet from her. She did a series of things that did no good...such as holler
at it, blow a loud whistle and wave her arms. She said the lion just sat
there looking at her. Finally out of desperation she hit it in the head with
her walking stick and it turned and trotted off. While living in Texas many
years ago, I often heard stories about mountain lion attacks or the threat
of them, but never heard of one caught or killed there. I'm sure they were
around, but I didn't feel threatened. They probably had plenty of food
around to be much of a threat to humans.
George Zay