[meteorite-list] Large Tissint donated to the NHM....!

From: Graham Ensor <graham.ensor_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 18:55:38 +0000

Hi Mike,

No Mike this is not a cut or polished face....that is the natural
leading face of this fragment (which is what attracted me to the
piece)....it has an amazing transparent glassy fusion crust with flow
lines (look at the top edge)....you can see right through it to the
matrix, maskelynite and olivines....it then flows over the lipped edge
to a thicker black more opaque crust with more flow lines and
characteristic texture. This fragment broke a couple of times on the
way down and one other face is only lightly sprayed with fusion crust
just from the direction of the leading edge and then the last
fragmentation was in cold flight or on the ground revealing one face
showing just the interior matrix....tells a nice story about it's
meeting with planet Earth :-)

I love pieces that tell stories....especially when they are from Mars ;-)

Cheers,

Graham