[meteorite-list] Trade: Telescope for Meteorites

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 21:21:47 -0500

Hello Everyone,

I have been away from meteorites for some some time now, probably most of
2011. In 15 years of collecting, this is the longest I have been away from
the hobby. I have been involved with a new hobby - learning to play guitar.
Music, what a wonderful pastime! The corner of
my bedroom is now sporting a fender stratocaster, brown sunburst pattern. A
work of art! I love just looking at it as much as playing.

Time to get back into meteorites. Telescopes have been a part of my life
since I was a boy. Surprising to me, I have have done most of my recent
observing with a small, "short tube" 80 mm scope. I rarely use my 10 inch
dob anymore so it is for trade.

I have for trade an Orion 10 inch Dobsonian intelliscope. This has been a
very nice scope. I am the only owner. It is a 10 inch reflector type scope
with a dobsonion base. It comes with a 2 inch Crayford focuser (with 1.25
inch adapter), cooling fan, Orion 9 x 50 right angle correct image finder,
intelliscope hand controller and holster, instructions, endcaps, base and
OTA. Shipped in the original shipping boxes. I will also include an Orion
Q70 26 mm 2 inch eyepiece, since I won't be needing it anymore .

There are no mechanical, cosmetic or optical issues with this scope. A few
minor scuffs on the base do not affect it's performance at all. The views
are outstanding and the object locator works great. Syrtis Major is easily
identified from my location (SE Georgia) and E and F in the trapazium (Orion
constellation) are no challenge for this scope.

For those unfamilar with pushto telescopes, this scope comes equipped with a
computr object locater, a handheld device which essentially helps you finds
objects. For example, if you want to view the great Orion nubula (also
knows as M 42) but don't know ehere to look (it's actually very easy to
find) simply punch in M 42 and the computer tellls you how to move the scope
to view it. Look in the eyepiece and there it is! It's that easy.

One of my favorite clusters is NGC 457 (also known as as the ET cluster
becasue it resembles the alien from the movie). With the hand controller,
you can locate it in 30 seconds. Want to view Neptune or Vesta or even
Pluto but don't know where to look. No problem finding it with the
computer.

It also has pre-programmed monthly guided tours of the best objects for any
month. In addtion it has a really cool identify feature. Lets say you are
cruising the milky way and you come across an interesting object. The
computer knows what you are looking at even if you don't. Ask it to
identify the objact and there you are.

The scope retails for around $700.00. I woiuld like to trade for an
interesting meteorite(s). What is interesting to me? I am mostly
interested well documented good provenance lunar and martian meteorites,
particularly this new Martian. A nice slice of Tissint would be wonderful.
Or a lunar slice. I need either. A complete slice of Canyon diablo with
beautiful etch (hello Mike Miller, are you reading this!) would be
thrilling. What I am not interstd in, is a bumch of plain NWA material.
Most ordinary chondrites do not interest me. I can send send images of the
scope upon request but it is the same scope seen here:

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobsonian-Telescopes/IntelliScope-Dobsonians/Orion-SkyQuest-XT10i-IntelliScope-Dobsonian-Telescope/pc/1/c/12/sc/27/p/27184.uts?refineByCategoryId=27

You can also download the instructions for setting up and using this scope
from the Orion site and you can google reviews.

If you are interested, let me know what you have in trade and send pics. If
you want to trade some cash, well that would be fine as well (I'm thinking
$500.00).

This is a large scope, around 60 lbs, shipped in two large and heavy boxes.
Shipping will probably cost me around $100.00

Thanks very much. Nice to be back in meteorites again.

-Walter Branch