[meteorite-list] Petition For a Pluto New Horizons Stamp

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:33:18 -0500

Hi Sterling, Phil, and List,

It's all a matter of semantics. Every rock circling the sun from
fist-sized to Death Star is a fellow traveler in the cosmos, all
moving in unison towards the center of mass of our Local Group of
galaxies, which is in turn moving on it's own interstellar course to
infinity.

In my book, Pluto will always be a "planet" despite the change in
nomenclature. From the time I was a child I was taught that Pluto is
a planet. In science class, we learned the names of all the planets,
and Pluto was included. There was even a little saying that helped us
learn their names, but I don't recall what it is now. It was similar
to the "Roy G. Biv" thing to learn the colors of the spectrum.

In my childhood, Pluto was the most distant place I could imagine.
Everything beyond Pluto just seemed like another universe - and it is!
 I don't care what some Non-Com says, Pluto is the distant boundary
world and last solar system outpost before the distant reaches of
interstellar space - not taking into consideration the semantics of
Kuiper Belt objects and Oort Cloud objects.

Best regards and clear dark skies,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com