[meteorite-list] Vesta, Ceres, Jupiter, AND a meteor

From: Charles Butterfield <cmb62_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:20:19 -0500

Hi Jodie,

Very nice!

Timing IS everything, isn't it?

As a budding astrophotographer, may I ask what you used to annotate the
shot?

Best regards,

Charley

"Well, squids don't work. Hey! Let's
  try elephants !"

                    Hannibal

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:33:28 -0800
From: Jodie Reynolds <spacerocks at spaceballoon.org>
Subject: [meteorite-list] Vesta, Ceres, Jupiter, AND a meteor
To: 'Meteorite List' <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>

I was out just before moon-rise trying to see if I could catch Vesta, Ceres,
and Jupiter together.

Just after I opened the shutter for a 6" exposure, I saw a meteoroid streak
across the sky apparent heading towards Ain. Very short and dim, I hoped
it'd be enough to expose at 1000ISO.

It did! Vesta, Ceres, Jupiter, and a meteor trail in the same frame!

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

Here it is with the red channel processed up a little bit to expose it.
Sorry about the sky noise, I was shooting through a sucker-hole in the
clouds and the moon was already brightening the sky. No other processing
other than resize to 1280x1024.

http://www.spaceballoon.org/vesta-ceres-jupiter-meteor.jpg

(Canon 50D,17-40L _at_ 40mm,6",f/4, ISO1000, 18:37:04 - 18:37:10 PST
[02:37 UTC])

P.S. Pardon the annotations, I needed them for registration to find the
darned minor planets. ;)