[meteorite-list] Vesta, Ceres, Jupiter, AND a meteor

From: Jodie Reynolds <spacerocks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:33:28 -0800

I was out just before moon-rise trying to see if I could catch Vesta,
Ceres, and Jupiter together.

Just after I opened the shutter for a 6" exposure, I saw a meteoroid
streak across the sky apparent heading towards Ain. Very short and dim, I
hoped it'd be enough to expose at 1000ISO.

It did! Vesta, Ceres, Jupiter, and a meteor trail in the same frame!

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

Here it is with the red channel processed up a little bit to expose
it. Sorry about the sky noise, I was shooting through a sucker-hole
in the clouds and the moon was already brightening the sky. No other
processing other than resize to 1280x1024.

http://www.spaceballoon.org/vesta-ceres-jupiter-meteor.jpg

(Canon 50D,17-40L _at_ 40mm,6",f/4, ISO1000, 18:37:04 - 18:37:10 PST
[02:37 UTC])

P.S. Pardon the annotations, I needed them for registration to find
the darned minor planets. ;)