[meteorite-list] Kudos to Petrus Jenniskens

From: Marc Fries <chief_scientist_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 18:53:49 -0600

Howdy all

        I want to point out the recent Science article on the Sutter's Mill
meteorite, which I'm sure many of y'all are already aware of. I'd like
to direct your attention to the author list in particular. There are
several names on there that are not Ph.D.-bearing meteorite
scientists, but who are members of the meteorite community who've
contributed to the recovery and investigation of this important fall.
Many kudos to Petrus Jenniskens for including them in there - the
author list is a wonderful cross-section of our community and it
highlights the distinct, but highly complementary, roles that we all
play.
        One of the things I like the most about meteorite research is that it
is immediately accessible to the public, and that many people of a
wide range of backgrounds and skills participate in it. We get to help
ensure that kids in school today learn more about their world, their
Solar System, and in nature in general than we did when we were in
school. That's progress of the most important kind.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/338/6114/1583.abstract

Cheers,
Marc Fries