[meteorite-list] BLM and Meteorite Recovery Policy (Thar she blows!)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 18:06:43 +0100

Yep, were hard times then,
so they were for meteorite hunters.

Here Mike you see Tashtego, Starbuck, Captain Ahab and Ishmael hunting the
White meteorite.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/995914327_613befae01.jpg

Watch out, what will happen!
Here, Rob L. found that horrible testimony... be aware, that is really
nothing for children-eyes:

http://kuerzer.de/ahabmassacre

The beast has bitten off Ahab's feet!!

Back to legality..

The ownership can lead also to problematic juristic consequences.

Liability.

With Tunguska we had luck, arriving just a few hours later or earlier... and
that was a relatively small impact, like it can happen all the time.

Follow me... what would be the consequence, if something like Vredefort will
happen today?
South Africa would be pretty much swept from the map.
Legally the Republic of South Africa is the owner of the impactor.
Does the Republic have then to pay for the devastations it made?
So not only physically, but also economically and for all times the Rep. of
South Africa would be pulverized.

Less dramatic:

A Peekskill car in Western Australia - do I get a new car from the state?

A Lorton house in Denmark, who pays the repair of the roof?

My dead Llama on BML land, sniff...?

Questions.....
Martin