[meteorite-list] BLM and Meteorite Recovery Policy

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 18:52:09 -0800 (PST)

Wake up and smell what you are stepping in, Michael!? I think we are nearly through collecting meteorites, at least on public land.

Remember, I saw my last hobby, Treasure Hunting, destroyed a few bad apples in the very same manner decades ago. I remember the good old days when you could swing a metal detector around without being treated like a common criminal.?

Sure, nothing attracts the federal governments attention like the words
"treasure" and "big bucks" splashed all of over their television screens. ? Throw in the cash register and add the sound effect "Ka-chinnggg" and
you have a winning combination for attracting the feds.? They claim
that is why they felt it necessary to clarify (rewrite) the laws in the Meteorite
Recovery Act 2012.? Have you even read it?

Due
 to the actions of a few, I will never again have the opportunity to cut
 a 10 pound plus meteorite found on public land.? I fondly remember
reactivating the "Judge" (a 24 inch Highlands Park diamond saw) and
cutting the 26 pounder found by the Count here in Nevada.? I might as
well mothball the Judge or sell it to a lapidary farm since anything
over 10 pounds has to be left in the field considering 89% of the land
here in Nevada is under federal control

Something got the BLM's attention? What else could it be other than the media? Why else would the give %_at_#*?

Adam