[meteorite-list] Fire caused by meteorites.. Is it possible?

From: John Lutzon <jl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:46:33 -0400

Now- those are good questions.

I vote yes to both---?

John

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Deckert" <edeckert at triad.rr.com>
To: <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>; "Randy Korotev"
<korotev at wustl.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Fire caused by meteorites.. Is it possible?

Perhaps these are dumbquestions, but I am now wondering if:

1 - Were any fires reported at the time of the Sikhote-Alin fall?

2 - Is it possible for a Superbolide to create enough static electric energy
coming through the atmosphere to cause lightning strikes that could in and
of themselves start a fire? Lightning can strike many miles away from a
thunderstorm, so I would think it a possibility if Superbolides could
generate a static charge.

Thanks, and I look forward to some answers.

Ed