[meteorite-list] eBay nonsense - seller offers SNC meteorites now

From: Count Deiro <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 12:02:29 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Yes, Bob, I have. Every time I see one of these frauds, I try a different tactics. Nothing works. They are all delusional. It's not about selling things to these neurotics, rather it's about the feelings of grandure and importance.

I get threatened by about half of them, including our friend Curry. Who finally is getting his comeuppance. here are a couple of my rebuttals.

Hi Mike,

I don't know why I do this. I guess it's because standing up to Curry did get somewhere. He really took after me, but thank God the guys piled on and he's getting his. Where do these guys hatch? Here's what I just sent.

805skp,
Dear Sir,
I am a metoriticist and hunt, make initial classifications, study and archive meteorites. I am not a seller. I belong to the International Meteoritical Society and the International Meteorite Collectors Association, but I am contacting you on my own volition. Being interested in purchasing, I looked at your offerings and discovered, much to my dismay, that as far as I can tell from looking at the photos and reading the descriptions and cites, that what you are purporting to be meteorites are just common terrestrial stones. I have no idea what circumstances would bring you to believe that these rocks are meteorites. I hope you were not duped by some unscrupulous scam artist, and having now been informed, I trust you will take steps to correct the situation, before it is reported to eBay and the agencies that deal with interstate fraud. I'm sure you will agree that the sale of fakes injures all of us involved in the collecting and study of meteorites.
- airmuseum

Let's see what he says....I'll probably get threatened again.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536

Dear Mr. Miller,

You do not provide proof when politely asked therefore I am sure your offerings are neither lunar meteorites, or even meteorites. The rocks you purport to be are terrestrial. I believe you know this and are intentionally misleading the public.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536