[meteorite-list] weathering - from the inside out

From: Phil Morgan <roxfromspace_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 22:41:04 -0600

Thanks for the off-line replies.

The piece pictured is the infamous Al Haggounia 001.

I've noticed this weathering pattern previously in OC's but it is
quite pronounced in this particular stone. A bit of further research
led me to "NORTHWEST AFRICA 2828/AL HAGGOUNIA 001 IS A
WEATHERED, UNEQUILIBRATED EL CHONDRITE:
TRACE ELEMENT AND PETROLOGIC EVIDENCE
A. J. Irving1, T. E. Bunch2, A. E. Rubin3 and J. T. Wasson3."

Which mentions that this material "has undergone unusual terrestrial
weathering".

and that "The weathering of this ancient fall evidently involved
unusual Eh/pH conditions in a semi-arid environment, so that
differential dissolution of the primary metal occurred."

So, the piece pictured seems to be a poor example of my more general
question (but pretty cool for what it is).

Phil