[meteorite-list] MRO HiRISE Images - August 15, 2012

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:45:20 -0700 (PDT)

MARS RECONNAISSANCE ORBITER HIRISE IMAGES
August 15, 2012

o Bright and Dark Slope Streaks in Arabia Terra
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_022405_1910

  While HiRISE has imaged slope streaks before, bright strikes
  are not as common as dark ones, so they're of high interest.

o A Pedestal Crater in Malea Planum
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_022787_1085

  Pedestal craters are the remnants of geologic units that have been
  heavily eroded from the surface of Mars.

o On the Hunt for New Impact Craters
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_027077_1785

  In this observation, we see a dark spot with a larger, rayed "blast
  zone" that was also apparent in a Context Camera image taken in 2011,
  but not in 2009.

o Dune Migration
  http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_028020_2560

  In addition to migration of the dune, we will also use these repeat
  images to look for changes in the dune shape and avalanches down the
  slip face.

All of the HiRISE images are archived here:

http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/

Information about the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is
online at http://www.nasa.gov/mro. The mission is
managed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division
of the California Institute of Technology, for the NASA
Science Mission Directorate, Washington, D.C. Lockheed
Martin Space Systems, of Denver, is the prime contractor
and built the spacecraft. HiRISE is operated by the
University of Arizona. Ball Aerospace and Technologies
Corp., of Boulder, Colo., built the HiRISE instrument.