[meteorite-list] CURIOSITY POLL VOTE

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 19:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hey Paul,

Of course it will work! 100% !!!

What seemed to me the easiest point of failure is when it is lowered on
the sky crane tether. Worrysome to me was the incredible storm of fine
crater silt would be kicked up and get into everything. But
remembering the 1% Earth's atmosphere has its benefits, too - so it's
important to not terrestrialize the concept too much. The rockets of
the descent stage (crane) will be blowing such thin air that it will
work! It must! ;-)

If you are a "Good Wife" fan or a Bitcoin fan, this might have been
amusing -

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=147
... assuming it isn't a scam, had a bet running that closed on August
1. (the bet the event date of Aug 21, which is the end of the window
proposed several months ago)

The above bitcoinmoney is 77.6% for a landing success, where success is
considered when Curiosity *establishes initial radio contact*.

I don't know about the legality of the bet or names of any other
bookmakers running it. After Beagle, it would seem to me an appealing
bet in the UK to a certain segment. If anyone want's to put some money
up instead of beers, there's bound to be a few betting / oddsmaking
markets online somewhere.

Kindest wishes
Doug