[meteorite-list] Auction Questions

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:23:16 -0400 (EDT)

Not exactly the same Adam -

As you know better than anyone, in this business the profit is in the
margin for the seller.

The 15/10 scheme is not as bad as the straight 25%. As a buyer, I'd
rather pay the 10% buyer's commission in the example you gave than no
buyer commission and having the seller pay the entire 25% since that is
more money. So what you propose would actually add another 3% to the
total cost grabbed by the auctioneer.

For a Total price of 100:

25% seller scheme:
Hammer price is 100 , the auction house take 25, seller get 75.

15%/10%:Seller/Buyer scheme:
Hammer price is 90.91, buyer pays 9.09 but the seller pays only 13.64
yet nets 77.27.

The concept of two-side financing of the auction probably started
innocently enough when some Dutch guys in wigs had to rent the
facilities and thought it fair that everyone chipped in, sellers by a
commission and buyers by an entry fee. You know, like mall parking
lots started at a flat $0.25 entry fee to pay the attendant.

Then, everyone complained that they needed their wives and husbands
there to agree to ask permission, or their employees to help cart it
away. Also there were people who claimed they were there to help, but
really did nothing and avoided the entrance fee. Then the auctioneer
said "screw this, we'll just put a minor buyer's commission on the
sales, and in any case the bigger the crowd the more likely bidders are
likely to lose their head in the commotion with showboat bidding.

Phase three was when a change of business model miraculously occurred
and plain greed took over: and the buyer's % fee was suddenly viewed as
a source of income, and as you say has the benefit to obscure the bill
so careless buyers paid more than they thought and could only grumble
that the drinks at the bar weren't so cheap after all.

So my thought is that as long as the auctioneer is not gouging anyone
it's ok. Buyers are smart enough to add the buyer's commission if they
are bidding responsibly and seriously. The example is implemented no
differently from a cooperative tax as you point out. If you go to a
restaurant, you wouldn't complain that tax was added to your bill, as
long as the tax rate is reasonable.

In Mexico, where sales taxes are higher than the US, btw, all prices
are quoted inclusive of tax, so WYSIWYG on the bill and customers are
happy since they don't have to count what's in their wallet while
figuring in taxesto see ifthey have enough after taxes. It make for
interesting accounting as it pushes the burden to the vendor to back
out the tax. So if something is 99.80 MXN pesos the accountant sets up
a spreadsheet and determines 86.79 is the income and 13.01 is the tax
due. So everyone is running around with calculators all the time
dividing everything by 1.15 to back out the 15% VAT. It gets to be a
real pain in the arse.

Kindest wishes
Doug