[meteorite-list] Met Bulletin Updates - 2 NWA's and a Nova, and a Question regarding Nomenclature

From: Jeff Grossman <jngrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 07:46:02 -0400

The way it works is that meteorites are named based on how much
certainty we have about where they come from. When we think the
coordinates are accurate, we can name them after very local features.
For things like NWA and Sahara meteorites, we have some confidence that
they come from northwest Africa and the Sahara in general, but not much
more than that. The hallmark of the Nova series is that we don't have
any good information about where they were found, or, in some of the
early ones, we thought that information was false.

Nova 011 simply turned up in a market in Russia.There is no accompanying
find story. Perhaps it's from Russia, perhaps it's an NWA, who knows.
If there was some kind of find story indicating a local origin, we might
have named it differently, perhaps South Russia or something like that.

Jeff