[meteorite-list] Moon rocks

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:19:05 -0500

Hi, Dan, List,

"Moon Rocks," meaning pieces of the Moon returned
by the space program, are the property of the Nation,
which paid about 25 billion 1970 dollars for them. In
practical terms, they are "owned" by the government
of the United States. No individuals "own" them. But
samples of lunar material are loaned to researchers on
application and justification for the research proposed
and are returned when it is over (unless the testing is
destructive, in which case they must be accounted for).

"Moon Rocks," in the sense of rocks from the Moon
that were brought to Earth by other means than
government effort, that is, meteorites, can be owned
by anyone willing to pay the price to own them.

Sterling K. Webb